Sunday

Becoming a Rabbit...

I never desired to be a rabbit, but a rabbit I am becoming.  Now, I understand why Peter invaded Mr. Megregor's garden.  Tender shoots of baby spinach, arugula, purple cabbage, baby carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, cucumbers, green beans, parsnips, tomatoes and so much more.   Huh? You say.  I know that sounds strange, but since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes I find I'm eating more vegetables than ever.  I have always loved my veggies but I also like pasta and various meats(which brings out the lioness or bear in me), trying to find a balance has been difficult but I'm figuring it out. 

Let's take pasta, for a diabetic pasta is a no-no due to the high carb. count and blood sugar spikes. But I have managed to find a pasta that I can eat and enjoy and not blow my carb count and it tastes wonderful, Dreamfields Pasta. I have also found a foldable flatbread that I love and is low in carbs, plus very healthy, Flatout Flatbread, but my all time favorite in this line is the Flatout Hungry Girl Foldable Sandwich Flatbread.  I like the one that is Whole wheat with flax seed and only 90 calories and 15 carbs. Unfortunatly I have to go to Longview, Texas to find this as the Oklahoma Wal-Mart Super stores don't carry it. This morning I had a toasted Rosemary and Olive Oil Flatbread with avocado slices and cooked egg whites with rubbed sage and lemon pepper. It was so good and I enjoyed every bite of it.  The dogs undoubtedly enjoyed the slice of avocado that hit the floor as it quickly dissapeared.   

I find that I have the munchies after 9 p.m., but I think I've solved that problem.  Around that time I like to have popcorn or chips, you know the oral crunch gratification thing.  Well, I now have my salad along with 5 Cruchmaster Multi-grain crackers (Gluten Free) at that time and am quite satisfied. Two days in a row now I've had a normal fasting blood sugar upon arising from sleep. YEA!

I'm determined to control this without medication, but with diet and exercise. I've purchased several good books to help me with this, one of them being Diabetes DTour Diet, and it all seems to be working.  My short term goal is to be at 200 lbs. by my birthday, March 17 and to have my blood sugar under 100, plus maintaining it by my next Doctor's appointment in April. My long term goal is to get to 145 lbs and maintain good habits and blood sugar.  My first weight goal is to loose 10% of my body weight, which I have lost 20 lbs. to date (since August) and have 3 lbs. to go. Next goal will be to loose 21 lbs., of which I should meet my goal of 200 by my birthday. Good goals to have. 

When I was first diagnosed my a1c was 8.1 which means diabetes.  At my last check up it was 6.9.  The Doctor was thrilled as was my dietician to see I had lost a full point off my a1c. I am determined to get it under an a1c count of 5 and keep it there.

There's nothing like getting a good kick in the gut to see that you're on a road to destruction and you have chance to turn it around. And that's what I am doing.

Happy trails...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.