Friday

39 Years and Counting...

It was a hot July evening 39 years ago with a quick rain shower just before the wedding.  The guests gathered in the church while my dad was putting a penny in my shoe for good luck.  The wedding dress was made by me on my great-grandmothers treadle sewing machine.  The cake was made by my mother's cousin and my groom was waiting for me at the alter to say our "I do's". Everything was in it's place and the music started. 

My dad handed me off to my groom as I took his arm I was shocked to feel how much he was shaking.  I guess I was shaking too.  But we made it through the ceremony and now 39 years, two wonderful daughters and many adventures later, we are starting on our 40th year of marriage. 

We took to heart the part that said "To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness".  I don't think couples of today adhere to that anymore otherwise you would see them work though their problems instead of abandoning them. 

Dave is my life partner and I am so blessed to have him by me as we walk through life together.

I hope those who read this have many happy years with your life partner.

Happy trails....

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.