Thursday

All Hallows Eve Time

It's that time of year again when summer is finished, the crops are in and we celebrate the harvest and coming of winter. All Hallows Eve or as we know it Halloween is upon us. The link that I provided is a great description of how we come to celebrate Halloween. I find that it's an interesting read.

All that aside, I think that Halloween is one of my favorite days. It's fun to watch all the children dress up. Each year I wonder what the costume of preference will be. When we first moved into our neighborhood there were lots of children so we would have a great turnout of little ghouls and goblins. One year I dressed up as the witch from Hansel and Gretel and sat in a dark entry and as the children would approach I would sing "Nibble nibble mousy, whose nibbling at my housy" then would cackle. Believe me the little ones had really big eyes after that. Then I would get up and approach them with the candy bucket, you should have seen their faces when they saw me in costume.

But over the years the children and their parents started going to the malls for trick or treating and it didn't take long for our neighborhood to see the demise of trick or treating. Even though we purchased our candy and had the porch light on last year, no one came to our house. So Dave had a sugar high.

This year we will once again purchase the candy and leave the porch light on and set out our little witch and her kitty all lit up as I have invited some of the children of my co-workers to come by.

Another reason I love this time of year is the house decorations. I love creative people who have an eye for such things. I'm creative but in different ways. Dave and I spied these two houses as we were coming back from dinner one evening and I just had to have a picture of them.
























We had a fun day at work Friday, most everyone dressed up and we brought food and ate all day long. I fixed Taco Soup, Someone brought chopped brisket sandwiches, another brought Texas Caviar as well as little smokies, then there were veggie and fruit plates, doughnuts and cookies and cupcakes. We had a lot of fun with all the costumes and pranks we played on each other. Here is a group of us and some of the zany outfits we had on. Others were dressed but not able to be in the picture so their individual pictures are below.







One person brought up a teacup pot belly pig names Spartacus, and you guessed it...I will leave that for you to figure out. Farmer Teddy and Spartacus Moose, the only pig I know that has his own Facebook page.
It was fun to sit on my front porch last night and listen to the OU Pride perform music from The Rocky Horror Show, The Munsters and other selection down at the soccer field for the Bedlam game between OU and OSU. They had over 2000 fans show up. Unfortunately OU lost to OSU 2-0. Maybe next year. But the girls did make it to the Big XII championship, so we are proud of their efforts.
Stay safe and Happy Halloween...and Happy Trails until next time.

1 comment:

  1. great post, Susie. I want the recipe for Taco Soup.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.