Don't Want To Do That Again...

Monday I had a nuclear (chemical) stress test on my heart.  All I can say is that I don't want to have to do that again any time soon.  First they inserted an IV in my arm and shot some saline into the vein.  I could taste it and smell it as well to which the technician said only a small amount of people are able to to that which means I have great taste buds.  Hooray for me!  Next they took my blood pressure but put the BP cuff on my forearm instead of my upper arm.  The technician said you actually get a better reading in that location.  After that the technician attached the little electrodes all over my chest, the nurse's assistant came in the room and the test began.

Have you ever had your life flash before your eyes?  That is what it felt like, very heavy, hard to breath, dizzy. The test only lasted 30 seconds after they shot the chemical into my vein, but felt like a lifetime before they shot me with the recovery drug twice.  Then they introduced the isotopes into my system.  After that I had to wait for 15 minutes before they took me to another room and put me on a very skinny table that was attached to a special camera that took pictures of the heart under stress from all sides being still for 17 minutes.  Have you ever had an itch you needed to scratch? You get the drift.

After it was over I left the office walking like a drunken sailor, my legs were like rubber.  Needless to say I did not feel like going back to work so I went home.  I didn't even have the "want to" to make dinner.  So we went out to Taco Mayo and I had 4 of their tacos.  Normally I only get three but that night I got 4. They tasted wonderful! 

The next morning and most of the day I felt like someone had taken a baseball bat to my upper torso.  Now keep in mind not everyone reacts like this.  Some people are not affected at all by all the chemicals.  By mid afternoon I was back to normal.  I had to go back on Wednesday to finish rest of the test.  What now?  Actually nothing as drastic as Monday.  They inserted the IV and flushed the vein with the saline again, then injected the isotopes and had me wait 15 minutes. Then I laid on the skinny table and was to be still for 20 minutes this time while the camera circled my torso shooting pictures of my resting heart.  Then I was done, none worse for the wear.

I went to work and after work went to my health class then worked out with my personal trainer.  A very long day and boy was I glad it was over. 

I get the news on Monday. All of this because I had a muscle cramp in my back. But being a diabetic I can understand the reason for wanting a benchmark as to where my heart is.  So we wait.

I've been busy getting ready for the concert on Monday.  Spooky music with the OU Symphony and 3 different choirs.  There is 151 people in the choir and boy does the sound, sound wonderful.  It should be a great concert. Just finished working with the orchestra, rehearsal Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m., dress rehearsal Sunday evening and the concert on Monday.  I know...everyone has asked me "why Monday?", It's Halloween! Well after all it is Spooky music. 

Tomorrow is casual Friday, to which I will be wearing my thermal shirt and jeans.  It gets cold in my office as my windows face the North.  Monday the employees in the office are dressing up in costume.  I'm going as a vampire opera singer. I already have my make-up planned out.  The only thing is I will have to take it all off and re-apply fresh make-up for the concert. Oh well...

Have a great weekend everyone and Happy Halloween...

Happy trails...

1 comment:

  1. that sure is a heavy load of testing you went through...sorry you had to endure all that. Concert sounds great; please follow up with how it went. Miss you.


We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.