Monday

Road Trip, Part 1


Two weekends ago I took a road trip to Kansas City, MO
Lights of KC on the Missouri River
to support my daughter in her first ever Sprint Triathlon, which consists of a
750m swim (600 Yards), 20K bike ride (13 Miles) and a 5k run (3.1 miles). She set her goal at 1 hour and 30 minutes.  She did it in 1:28 and was extremely please with herself. I was very proud of her.  I also met a lot of real nice people as well. But let me back up a bit before I get carried away.

Preparations

Any time I go out on the road, I always get an oil change, besides the car was due.  I also got new shocks on the front of the car as it still had the original factory shocks on it, 12 years later. I found out that the tires on the car had never been balanced so Firestone balanced them for me for free.  I got my gas card loaded from Walmart, packed my bag, got the dogs beds in the car and discovered that I didn't have a currant insurance card in the car…WHAT!!! 

I called Farmer’s help line (3 times) Got an insurance card for Christie’s car? Got hung up on once and never received the Ins. Card for the truck on the third call, it was to be sent to me via email (still waiting). I wanted to get away by 7 but had to wait until 9 when I could contact my agent and had the card in 3 minutes.  Printed it out, put water in the car, off to Mickey D’s for a sausage egg Mc Muffin, a large Hazelnut Iced Coffee, and three plain hamburgers for the dogs, popped by the bank, grabbed some cash and hit the road. FINALLY!

The Drive

By most standards the drive from Norman, OK to KC, MO is boring if you let it be.  Though I have a hard time driving it at first as I get drowsy and have to entertain myself to stay awake.  SING!!! OPERA!!! I have also discovered that if I will change the upper seat position to a more upright position and lower the steering wheel that it helps me to become a bit more alert. 

What really got me awake was when I pulled in to a rest stop and gas station on the Kansas Turnpike the car would not turn off.  The repair that I had done on it earlier, a different part had now failed.  So it was rush inside and take care of business and get back out before my battery died.  FUN! NOT! 

There is one area in Kansas that is called the FlintHills. It is rolling high prairie that stretches for miles. Big cattle ranches
To see more of the Flint Hills click on Link
claim these land. By this time in the trip I was struggling again to stay awake when I had a brilliant idea.  By the way, Dave always travels with me, I pretended that I was delivering a mono-log to him describing everything I saw and told him all about flint rock and the many things that could be done with it and that flint napping, almost a lost art, was making a comeback as surgeons were finding that it was a harder substance and gave a sharper edge than a scalpel (I read that somewhere, just one of those stupid tidbits that I keep tucked away).

I finally hit the east side of Kansas which was transform from the high rolling prairies to more flint cliffs and dense wooded areas.  Crossing over the mighty Missouri river I hadn't far to go to getting to Christie’s place.

We quickly unloaded the dogs (3) and headed to the nearest Chevy Dealership’s Service Department and was told they couldn't do anything for me as they were totally booked. I needed to disconnect the battery.The Service Tech rummaged through Dave’s tool box and showed me the part that I had to do the deed with, but it needed an extension (Allen wrench) in order for it to work,(I had one all along and didn't know it, thank you O’Reillys!) Eureka!

We got back to Christie’s place, finished unloading the car, disconnected the battery and went to dinner.  What a day!
Christie's meal of Fajitas
Christie and I piled into her car and went to a wonderful Mexican Restaurant called Jose Peppers.  It was delicious and hit the spot.  Afterwards we went out to Smithville lake where the race
My meal of enchiladas with creamy avocado and
jalapeno sauce!
event was going to be and sort of walked the course.  Then went over to the campgrounds area and scouted out possible sites for next year when I have my RV.  They have several very nice campgrounds there. 

Tired and tuckered out we hit the hay as we had to get up very early the next morning.

Race Day

We were up and out the door by 5 a.m. The race didn't start until 7:30 a.m.  but we needed to be there by 6:00 a.m.so she could get her bike and equipment set up in the staging area, get her timing chip and
All set for the bike event!
get set for the race. 

I perched myself up on the hill overlooking the course and met some very nice folks whose one daughter was participating in the race at the age of 50 and was in training to hike the mountains of Patagonia, Chili next summer.  WOW!

The gun sounded and the first wave of swimmers entered the water. It was some time before Christie entered the water, but she was thankful that the wind hadn't picked up yet and didn't have to swim against waves.  

After about 45 minutes into the race she exited the water and ran for her bike, changed into her shoes, shed her swim cap and was off to timing pad of the bike ride. She was looking good.  Somehow I missed her coming back from her ride and while I thought I was shooting pictures of her on her bike, she walks up behind me with her medal! She had already finished her 5K run! Sheesh…what a bad mommy I am!  I told her she had to get a different bright swimsuit so I could spot it and her next year! 

She did encourage me to train to run the race with her next year…I will think about it, no promises, but will think about it.

We headed back to her apartment and took a much needed nap. After our nap, she took me to downtown KC and gave me a partial tour.  I didn't get to see 3/4th of it but what I did see…WOW!  

We were hungry and she wanted me to experience some of the best Bar-B-Q in KC so we went over to Oklahoma Joe’s. The line was out the door and down the front of the building and around the corner.  It’s the only place she says that she has been able to find Head Country BBQ Sauce, her favorite.  Oklahoma Joe’s shares space with a working gas station.  
On the way to Gates BBQ we saw this car!

We didn't want to wait so she took me to Gates BBQ.  It was awesome and very reasonable too.  Their sauce was very different but good and their fries were
Had to take a picture of this even though I had eaten
part of it.
wonderful…almost a steak fry but a hair smaller.  The brisket was melt in your mouth. You almost didn't have to chew it!

Afterwards we went to a place that made me stop in my tracks.  I have heard rumblings about how there isn't a National WWI Memorial in Washington D.C. and one needs to be built, well, let me let you in on a little secret…It’s in Kansas  City, MO, absolutely stunning and so moving you weep, except it is a museum instead, looked like a memorial  to me. It was late in the day so we didn't have time to go in, but you can be certain that when I go back I will make the effort to go see the National WWI Museum.  On the plaza of the Museum you can look down on the Union Station which is currently housing the King Tut exhibit and a stunningly beautiful dancing fountain. Kansas City is known for its fountains.

Christie asked if I wanted to go get a coffee, but of course!  She took me over to a small village that stepped back into the time of Mayberry, America.  Parkville!  So quaint and special, who wouldn't want to live there! She had been looking at houses in the area and I could see why. I loved it at first sight!

She dove me around the Waukomis Lake district not far from where she lives.  It’s one of the lakes she trains in for open water swimming at 5:30 in the mornings.  The houses are on top of each other but it is a very nice area.  Me…I would not live there.  No place to park.

We arrived back home and watched a movie called Austenland, of course another play on Pride and Prejudice. It was such a fun movie and we ended up watching twice. It was late so we called it a day and drifted into la la land.


Stay tuned for Part 2…



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.